Wednesday 20 January 2016

Thing 10: Live Streaming

Before Rudai I participated in webinars and a few live podcasts. I really only started watching live streaming videos when the stream Twitch Plays Pokemon happened. I then got into watching e-sport events. The latest one was the League of Legends World Championship.

I watched the Rudai Google hangout live and participated in the twitter chat event. I was inspired by the speakers and was motivated to catch up with my Rudai posts at the time. I think I was about six posts behind because of a late start on Rudai. Google Hangouts is like a mix of Skype, webinar and WhatsApp. 

I think streaming live events from the library is a very good idea. It gives another platform for librarians and information professionals to express their ideas. It also gives the library more opportunities to interact with their wider community.

It allows those unable to attend community events to join in off site. For example if a community meeting was to be arranged in a library with streaming capabilities, then the meeting could be streamed to housebound members of the community. There are even some streaming sites with options that allow you to limit access to a certain region or use passwords for entry.

Also after the event there is a recorded video so people who missed the event or did not have time to attend can watch at a later time convenient to them.

Part 10: 23 Things Course RudaĆ­ 23.
Tasks: Take part in the Rudai23 Hangout-On-Air OR Set up your own Hangout-On-Air OR Explore Periscope

1 comment:

  1. Glad you were able to join in. Any plans to use it yourself for an event?

    The Rudai23 Team

    ReplyDelete