Sunday 31 January 2016

Thing 19: The Legal Side of Things

C-Clones or Creative Commons posted on Flicker by Kristina Alexanderson in the Troopers of 2012 Album: https://goo.gl/RfI9Qs.

After reading the Thing 19 post I started to wonder if about my own posting and re-posting on social media over the years. I was on social media when the debate about source attribution broke out on Facebook and Tumblr. Art work from DeviantArt and Facebook was being re-uploaded onto other peoples Tumblr blogs  and Facebook without mentioning the creator. Some sites were even collecting some of the artwork and were selling it.

I have to admit when I was younger and first started off I was totally unaware of copyright on the internet. I did start off uploading one or two of my favorite pics to use as my avatars or so I could share them with my friends but then I discovered re-posting. Until the source attribution debate broke out I had never bothered to check if the original post was properly attributed to the source. Now all of my posts and re-posts will have links back to the source. For posts that I want to re-post that don't I will hunt down the link first. A handy thing you can do now, is reverse image search to find the source of an image.

For Rudai I was still very cautious about what I posted on-line. You might have already noticed that I always put links in when I am referring to something else. For my post for Thing 4, I wanted to  share an article I had read in The Economist (a magazine I read in work). I  also wanted to use a time line picture used in the piece. I had taken a picture of the time line to use in my blog but I wanted to  check out the copyright before I posted it. After looking around I was still unsure about the copyright issues around blogging so I decided to err on the side of caution and input a reference to the article instead of posting the picture.

Which turned out to be the correct ting to do. I just completed the Network Resource Management module of my library course which had a legal aspect and I am more aware of Irish copyright law. But we only had enough time to touch briefly on Creative Commons.

Part 19: 23 Things Course Rudaí 23.
Tasks: Write about the concerns/issues raised in the Thing 19 post OR about a website which offers Creative Commons or Public Domain content and what it has to offer

No comments:

Post a Comment