Sunday 24 January 2016

Thing 12: Attending Conferences

I was really lucky with my Jobbridge in Teagasc because my supervisor Maire Caffrey told me to go to every conference and seminar I could while I was on my Jobbridge. This meant that attended an awful lot of conferences in 2015.

I was advised not to limit myself to a certain library sector, so I attended conferences and seminars on many different subjects and in many different areas.

As I was encouraged to attend all the conferences, workshops and seminars. I attended as many as I was able. To attend the conferences I just had to inform my supervisor that it was on.

I am going to talk about the first seminar I went to.

"AISHE Seminar: Biblometrics and publications impact"

This seminar was held in the Maynooth University Library on the 5th of May 2015 and was run by AISHE (All Ireland Society for Higher Education). I was told to sign up to this using eventbrite  on my first day of my Jobbridge because I was going to be working with Bibliometrics.

I was very nervous attending this event because I had only started my Jobbridge on the previous Monday. I had not yet started my Library course and at first I felt like I should not be there. But the attendees and organizers of the event were very friendly.

I found the topics covered at the seminar very useful because I worked on a Bibliometric report and helped set up their Incite platform.

The seminar started at 09:30 and ended at 15:30. There were a total of five speakers spaced though out the day.

In the morning the topic of bibliometrics was introduced to us, with various definitions, procedures and metrics used. This was followed by an introduction and demonstration of MyRi Project an online bibliometric education resource site. We were informed that the website was in the middle of having its content updated.

We had a a short break and then had a practical session. We got to use the InCites and Scopus platforms.

After lunch we were introduced to Alternative Metrics Altmetrics and the various platforms were discussed and a live demonstration of the "Altmetric" platform.

As an added bonus at the end there was a talk about the impact that open access and institutional repository was having on the researchers at Maynooth University with two amazing case studies share with us.

I took some notes in a note book but the slides were also made available after the event so I could pay attention to what was being said.

I got less nervous as I attended more events.

My advice for attending conferences is to be prepared. Know where the conference is being held and how to get there, if you are going by public transport leave with plenty of extra time for any unexpected delays. Bring a notebook to take notes of the key topics or areas of interest, I was advised to also use it to help keep track of new names. Also be prepared to talk a lot and know what your library is currently doing (and how) eg. events and project.

Some Honorable mentions

Open Acess Week events
Library Week events
"Right to Read Conference"
"Librarians & Online Privacy" an A&SL Talk by Alison Macrina
"Abstract to Audience: A guide to conference presentations" run by the Career Development Group of the LAI

Part 12: 23 Things Course RudaĆ­ 23.
Tasks: Write about a conference you attended OR one you would like to attened

1 comment:

  1. HI. It sounds like you had a very supportive Job Bridge experience. Great to see that you were encouraged to attend as many as possible.

    The Rudai23 Team

    ReplyDelete