Sunday 31 January 2016

Thing 20: Presentations

Presentations seemed to be a hot topic when I first wrote this.

I had just attended a conference on presentations run by the LAI’s Career Development Group (CDG) group “Abstract to Audience: a guide to Conference presentations”. It was on in the NLI on Friday 2nd October 2015.I found it very interesting and I got a lot of tips and demonstrations. One of the speakers even had us doing a workshop which was interesting because we had to design a presentation on paper.

I have had to do three presentations on Bibliometrics in the following weeks. They were two very different settings. Two were for work (same presentation) to the researchers and one in college to my class.
For the work presentations the talk was more focused on how and what researchers need/want to know about bibliometrics. The one for my information organisation class and was focused more on what librarians need to know and how they would go about doing this.

I was thinking of using the experience I have gained doing the Teagasc  5 year bibliometric report as a case study but ran out of time to make these slides so I adapted and added to what I already had.

I ended up using mostly the same slides for all the presentations. I planned the core of the presentations on paper, then I did a rough layout of slides. I then went onto Pixabay and Unsplash two picture websites suggested in the Presentation Conference to source pictures that can be used in presentations. I finalized content and practiced the presentations but forgot to check the timing. Next time I will be sure to check the timing before hand.

In the conference they said not to use bullet points in the presentation, so I tried to limit the number of bullet points I used. They also suggested to use animation and different shapes to make it interesting.

For the College presentation a did a last minute switch around of my slides moving my time line before the definition. If I had to do another presentation I would change the order back.

To view slides follow the links below:
Bibliometrics Measuring Impact- Researchers
Bibliometrics Measuring Impact- Researchers 2
IO_Bibliometrics Measuring Impact- Librarians

I had done two presentations before this in one for my chemistry thesis and one at a convention intro to manga, two very different settings.

The presentation for my chemistry thesis was very nerve wracking. I had to talk for 15 minutes discussing my final year chemistry project. I discussed my methodology, results and conclusions. I remember I was given very difficult questions that were outside the scope of my project which my supervisor had to answer.

The second presentation was more relaxed and enjoyable. I was giving my view about manga and recommended reading.For the first presentation I was more prepared, my slides were meticulously planned with a speech too. For the manga one I had random slides and no prepared speech.


Part 20: 23 Things Course Rudaí 23.
Tasks: Option 2:Talk about a presentation you have given and share the slides.

No comments:

Post a Comment