Friday 29 January 2016

Thing 15: Advocacy for Libraries

There were a lot of different issues that I came across that Librarians were advocating for.The strongest issues I came across were Literacy, Privacy and Librarianship.

There was a general concern about the high percent of illiteracy in this modern world of technology.
The advocacy campaign that I became aware of was the Right to Read campaign. This campaign is a European wide campaign to reduce the literacy problems across Europe. I attended the Right to Read Conference which was promoting the campaign in Ireland.

The most influential speaker for me was the Princess Laurentien from the Netherlands.

She also showed us an animated video called The Story of Lisa, which showed the cycle of illiteracy. This had a profound resonance with me because I could not read until I was ten and it had me thinking what could have happened if my mother had not kept trying.

The 8th of September was the International day of literacy which saw this interesting video Do not Read This. It highlights how much literacy is so much a part of everyday modern life.

There was talk about the greater need for privacy and better privacy laws. One of the talks I went to was about online privacy and the Library Freedom Project. This talk was run by the A&SL section the speakers were Philip Bradley and Alison Macrina from America the founder of the Library Freedom Project. What stood out for me the most is that American libraries put signs in their windows to inform their users of CIA data requests.

The third was advocating the skills of librarianship. There was a discussion of what could be done and the suggestion of a promotional video was talked about. A few days after that conference Christopher posted a video from the 1970's Do you want to be a librarian?  on LinkedIn. The video is a promotional video for librarians which is still relevant for librarians today but with an expansion of new roles and a loss of some of the traditional roles.

When I further research I discovered that Librarians are good at exploiting video as a media platform. I also came across several modern videos used for promoting and advocating for libraries.

This video captures the mystery of libraries. The Wonder of Libraries

These two videos show that librarians have a sense of humor and are not afraid to try new things Librarian Rhapsody and UCC Library Student Card.

I quite like all of these videos.

Yesterday I was shown the TEDxDublin Talk by Helen Shenton in my Library Management class. I think this is the perfect answer to the question "Do we even need libraries anymore?" it not only answers the question but shows you how they are needed. 

Part 15: 23 Things Course RudaĆ­ 23.
Tasks: Look at some library advocacy campaigns, write about your thoughts on the subject, if you have ever been involved in one and thoughts on how effective they are

1 comment:

  1. Some great links there, thanks for sharing.

    The Rudai23 Team

    ReplyDelete